Being watchful of your teen's behavior may save a life. It's a terrible thing to recognize the warning signs after the fact.
Warning Signs of Acute Suicide Risk
The following are not always communicated directly or outwardly:
- Threatening to hurt or kill him or herself, or talking of wanting to hurt or kill him/herself; and or,
- Looking for ways to kill him/herself by seeking access to firearms, available pills, or other means; and/or,
- Talking or writing about death, dying or suicide, when these actions are out of the ordinary.
Additional Warning Signs:
- Increased substance (alcohol or drug) use
- No reason for living; no sense of purpose in life
- Anxiety, agitation, unable to sleep or sleeping all of the time
- Feeling trapped – like there’s no way out
- Withdrawal from friends, family and society
- Rage, uncontrolled anger, seeking revenge
- Acting reckless or engaging in risky activities, seemingly without thinking
- Dramatic mood changes
- Giving away prized possessions or seeking long-term care for pets