Childhood Trauma Talking Points
- Adversity, trauma, and stress have significant effects on a child’s social, emotional, & cognitive development.
- Stressed brains do not learn the same as brains that feel safe, can emotionally regulate, & feel connection.
- All behavior is a form of communication.
- We should use the term “stress-behavior” rather than saying bad behavior or a misbehavior. This will help us shift our lens to understand the root cause of behavior and therefore also shift how we respond.
Trauma-Sensitive Schools Talking Points
- Zero-tolerance policies aimed at creating safe school environments have proven ineffective and harmful to students, teachers, schools, and communities.
- During the 2012-2013 school year, almost 1 in 10 Indiana students were suspended or expelled, while African American students were disproportionately suspended or expelled at a rate of more than 1 in 5 students.